November 26, 2007

2 Articles: El Yunque and Fights in Schools

Sorry for the wait, I took a much needed thanksgiving vacation.

Here are two quick articles while I prepare a larger post.

This first one is about El Yunque, the rainforest park and popular tourist destination. I'm not going to pretend this is a well written article or that the pictures are outstanding, because they aren't. But it made me smile.

The second article is in Spanish about fighting in schools. I thought it was interesting how they're concerned more about people putting the videos up on youtube than about the actual fights, it seems. Oh, the first link they have up doesn't work, because that's how El Nuevo Día is. Here's the video. It seems pretty intense.

I'm not judging, since almost all high schools have fights. I just thought I'd share (and it's good Spanish practice, for those learning Spanish).

A few things you should notice about the video: they refer to the fight as motín, literally a mutiny. Also, they're outside. In high schools on the island, classes are "outdoors" (by that I don't mean that there isn't a building, but rather there are regular classrooms and covered walkways outside) and students (as far as I know) are allowed off of campus for lunch and might also hang around the front of the school before and after classes. And the final thing you should have picked up on: all the students are dressed the same. In public schools the students wear uniforms, unlike most of the U.S.

1 comment:

Arlene said...

Geez, if I ever count all the fights I witnessed in my high school in Levittown... They always happen outside of the campus for the scare of being caught by teachers and face suspension. My nephew posted a fight from his high school in his MySpace page!!! O_O Of course I told him a thing or two about that, but it doesn't surprise me seeing this type of video in YouTube. (technology...) They ask in the article why the other students don't separate the ones fighting... err, you want to risk being caught in the middle? That's why.

And yeah, school uniforms are the norm in PR (and I actually liked it, made the "what should I wear" very easy).